Patreon’s integration with Discord makes it easy for you to reward your patrons with special roles in your Discord server. Here’s how to set it up:
*Prerequisite: You will need to create a specific server on your Discord account prior to setting up roles or connecting your Discord account to your Patreon account.
to learn how to setup a Discord Server.
1. Set up roles on your Discord Server
In Discord, open the Server Settings window and navigate to the Roles tab. Set up as many roles as you’d like – you’ll be able to use any of the roles you set up here as Patreon rewards.
2. Connect your Discord server to your Patreon page
- Navigate to .
- Click “Creator Page Settings” in the top-right corner to open the settings window.
- Click the “Connect to Discord” button to authorize a Patreon bot on your server. We’ll use this bot to automatically assign people the roles you choose in the next step. Note: be sure to keep “Manage Roles” and “Create Instant Invite” checked in the authorization screen!
3. Give the Patreon bot the required permissions.
- Navigate to the Roles section of your Discord server settings.
- Find the new role “Patreon”, and drag it above the roles you’d like to give to your patrons. Important: do not choose this role for any of your rewards in step #4.
- (optional) Rename the "Patreon" role to "Patreon Bot" – this will help you remember to not choose the role as a reward. Be sure not to disable any of the permissions – otherwise, the bot might not be able to assign roles to your patrons!
4. Add Discord roles to your Patreon rewards
- Back on Patreon, close the Creator Page Settings window to go back to your page editor.
- Click on the “edit” button in the Rewards card to edit your rewards.
- If you’ve completed the previous step and connected your Discord server, there should be an additional “Discord Roles” section for each reward. Add as many roles to a given reward as you’d like – you can even add the same role to multiple rewards. Important: do not add the "Patreon" role (or whatever you might have renamed it to) to any reward – this will break the integration!
- For example, you could create a “Patrons” role, which gives people access to certain channels, and then a “Patron Admins” role, which gives people admin permissions in those channels. If you had two reward tiers—$1 and $10—you could then assign the “Patrons” role to both $1 and $10 rewards and the “Patron Admins” role to only the $10 reward.
5. Watch the magic!
We’ll handle the rest from here! Once a new or existing patron connects their Discord account, we’ll automatically invite them to the server (if they're not already in it) and assign them the role(s) corresponding to their chosen reward. If a patron deletes their pledge, we’ll remove the role(s) from their Discord account for you.
Want to learn how patrons can connect their Discord account? Read !
Q: Will non-patrons on my Discord server be affected?
A: We will only modify the roles of those who are your patrons. Additionally, if a patron deletes their pledge, we’ll revoke the roles which you asked us to assign them.
Q: Will other roles on my Discord server be affected?
A: We’ll only modify the roles you’ve selected in your Patreon rewards settings. For example, if you have roles A, B, C, and D, but have only assigned A and B to your Patreon rewards, we’ll never touch C and D.
Q: How long will it take for roles to be assigned in Discord?
A: Most of the time it will happen immediately. If you have a lot of patrons who have connected their Discord accounts, however, and you change the roles they receive in your rewards settings, it may take as many as a few hours for the roles to be reassigned.
Q: The Patreon bot is offline on my server. Is something wrong?
A: Nope, everything's fine! The bot will appear to be offline on your server, but will still be able to invite your patrons and assign them the correct roles.
Q: My patrons aren't being invited to the server, or aren't receiving their roles! What's wrong?
A: It might be due to the permissions the Patreon bot has. Make sure that (1) the Patreon Bot's role (which should be named "Patreon", unless you renamed it) is not any of the roles you chose in step #4, and that (2) its role is, in the list of roles in Discord, above all of the roles you chose in step #4.
If you've confirmed both of those and it's still not working, it could either be that (1) there's a short delay, or (2) there's a problem on our end. If you think it's the latter, let us know!